Saturday, June 11, 2011

Summer Time Sandwiches...

    For a while now I have been wanting to do a Pulled Pork. My husband came home for a weekend visit, so I took this opportunity to cook some up with my slow cooker. The style of pulled pork that I believe most Canadians have come to know and love is typically made with a sweet BBQ sauce, in which the pork shoulder is braised in. Today I felt like trying something different. In Kansas they make their Pulled Pork with a dry rub. Coincidentally I had recently come across a pork dry rub that I had been dying to try out. This was the best way I could think of.
    At about 9 o'clock this morning, I loaded up the slow cooker with all the necessary fixin's. I then spent the whole day enjoying time with my family, and NOT concerning myself with supper. Once supper time rolled around, my house was smelling delicious and the pork was ready for "pulling". When we decided it was time to eat, all I needed to do was spend ten minutes making some coleslaw and plating the food.


Kansas City Pulled Pork Sandwich


Ingredients:
1/4 cup Kansas City Pork Rub
2 lbs. pork shoulder, cubed and fat removed
1 can stout beer (Or 2 chicken bouillon cubes and 3 cups of water)
Fresh bread rolls
Orange Chipotle BBQ Sauce or your favourite BBQ Sauce
Vinegar based Coleslaw, optional

Directions:
(1)  Place the pork shoulder cubes into a slow cooker or a large heavy bottom pot.
(2) Add the dry rub to the pot. Using your hands, massage the pork with the spices until most of the powder has been absorbed by the pork.



(3) Add the beer or water and the bouillon cubes. If using a slow cooker, cook on low for 8 hours, otherwise bring the liquid to a boil for ten minutes and then reduce the temperature to a low simmer for two hours.



(4) Once the pork has finished cooking, transfer the pork to a plate. Using two forks, pull the pork apart. Add desired amount of the braising liquid to the pork.


Finished Cooking...

(5) Start assembling the sandwiches. Spread a fair amount of the BBQ sauce on to the bread roll. Pile a generous amount of pulled pork on top of each bread roll. Add coleslaw if desired.




No comments:

Post a Comment