Friday, August 26, 2011

Homemade Flour Tortilla's

    I was consulting my weekly meal plan, as I do every morning and I realized that I was due to make Chicken and Rice Burritos. Turns out I was fresh out of Flour Tortilla's. You can't have burritos without tortilla's...but I didn't feel like driving to the grocery store, so I decided to make some of my own.
    It wasn't a huge deal. I have been wanting to make some Homemade Flour Tortilla's for a while now anyway. I had even purchased the handy tortilla press from an ethnic market on a past trip to Montreal.
As the old saying goes, There's no time like the present.
    The original recipe asks for lard, but I don't keep that in my pantry so I decided to use margarine instead (Even though the recipe specifically warns against substituting. That's right I'm a rebel like that). Everything still worked out well. I also doubled the recipe, and placed the cooked tortilla's between pieces of parchment paper and prepared them for the freezer. Hopefully they will keep well and I will be able to use them in future recipes. I'll keep you posted.

Homemade Flour Tortilla's:
(From allrecipes.com)



Ingredients:

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsps. baking powder
2 Tbsps. lard
1 1/2 cups water

Directions:

(1) Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a very large mixing bowl.


(2) Mix in the lard with your fingers or a pastry blender, until the flour resembles cornmeal.


(3) Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic.


(4) Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.

Begin cutting the dough into equal pieces.

(5) Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
(6) Use a tortilla press or a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla.





(7) Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side.

(8) Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.




No comments:

Post a Comment