Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Hunger Games

UPDATE BELOW 

 I thought I would run an idea I recently had by you all.
  
   Since my husband often travels to all corners of the world for work, I am often left alone in this dreadful town with no other companionship than my 5 year old son. Being that we only recently moved here, and I haven't quite settled in "socially", finding time to do adult things can become a pretty difficult task. Most of the planned activities during the day are dictated by the wee one, but after bedtime I have ample time to do with what I please. (As long as I don't leave the house, or make to much noise.)
  Case in point. I thought it might be fun to start, here I go..... An Online Book Club :D
  People could participate as little or as much as they wanted. We could have open discussions about the current book selection, and even offer up suggestions as to what we should read. So Whatta ya think? Come on it'll be fun. So, to get the ball rolling I'm going to make the first suggestion. What do you all think of  The Hunger Games?
   In case you have no idea what this book is about, here is a small description.


    The Hunger Games is a  science fiction novel written by Suzanne Collins. It was originally published on September 14, 2008, by Scholastic. It is the first book of The Hunger Games trilogy. It introduces sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a post- apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where North America once stood. This is where a powerful government working in a central city called the Capitol holds power. In the book, the Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the Capitol chooses one boy and one girl from each district to fight to the death. The Hunger Games exist to demonstrate not even children are beyond the reach of the Capitol's power.


UPDATE:
   
     Back in March when I decided to select this book as a book club selection, I had been hearing a lot of buzz about it. My first initial thought was Science Fiction? Really?
    I don't often read science fiction novels. I tend to stick to the classics such as Jane Austen, Tolstoy, Steinbeck etc. But for some reason it  peaked my interest. I'm always up for a good page turner. I'm happy I did, because it turned out to be pretty great.
    I have been so preoccupied with other things, I am just now getting around to it. Once I got going though, I couldn't put it down. Since it was the first of three books, I should have expected that I wouldn't be satisfied with the ending. Although it was great, I have no closure. Which makes it only natural to select the next book in the series, Catching Fire, as my second book club selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment