Friday, April 29, 2011

The Perfect Pad Thai

    I was trying to eat up all the vegetables I didn't get to this past week. Rather than wasting them, I usually toss them into a stirfry of some sort. This time I felt like Shrimp Pad Thai.
    Pad Thai is an all time favourite of mine. I've had it a bunch of times in various restaurants, but I find that they are always to heavy handed with the noodles, and they never put enough of the good stuff in there. Because of this reason I choose to make my own at home. I believe I do a much better job :)
   

Shrimp Pad Thai:

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. tamarind concentrate or tamarind paste dissolved in water
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
2 Tbsp. palm sugar or brown sugar
2 tsp. chili sauce
1 serving rice noodles
1 Tbsp. peanut oil
1 serving shrimp/chicken/tofu
1 shallot (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 egg (lightly beaten)
2 Tbsp. roasted peanuts
1/2 cup carrots (julienned, very thinly)
1/2 cup celery (cut on the bias)
1/2 cup red/green pepper ( very thinly sliced)
1 green onion (thinly sliced)
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
lime wedges

*Most people use bean sprouts as the main vegetable. I really don't like bean sprouts so I chose to use the vegetables that I had on hand.

Directions:
1) Slice all the vegetables so they are ready to go.
2) Prepare the sauce by combing the tamarind, fish sauce, palm sugar, and chili.
3) Quickly scramble the egg.


All the fixin's ready to go. While cooking Thai food,
it comes together quite quickly. It's best to have all
the ingredients prepared and ready to go before
you start cooking


The sauce Makings.
(Tamarind Concentrate, Fish Sauce,
Sambal Oelek(chili sauce), Palm Sugar)


If you're opting to use palm sugar, make
sure you grate, rather than chop it. You
want it to dissolve quickly into the sauce.
4) Cook the noodles according to the package directions.
5) Heat oil in the pan.
6) Add the shrimp, shallots and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.


When the shrimp start to turn pink, it's time
to flip over and cook the other side. They only
take a moment, so be careful not to over cook.

7) Add the sauce and the noodles. Mix and move to the side of the pan.
8) Add the egg, let sit a moment and then mix it in to the noodles.

9)Add the vegetables and let cook for a minute. Combine with the noodles.


10) Add the peanuts, green onion and cilantro. Remove from heat.
11) Serve with lime wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment