Friday, May 20, 2011

Some Serious Sauce

   One of my all time favourite meals is Spaghetti and Meatballs. I had recently used up all of my "in the freezer, and ready to go" spaghetti sauce, so it was time to make some more. I took a quick scan of my freezer to see what ingredients I had, and which I needed to buy... and coincidentally I happened to have everything I needed to make this Bolognese Sauce. I don't usually change from my habitual Spaghetti and Meatballs, but I sure am glad I did. This was a great change in flavor.
    This cold, rainy weather is really allowing me to have large simmering pots of hot sauces and soups on the stove for hours on end. Once the hot weather comes....not a chance.... maybe then I will break out the slow cooker.

Spaghetti Bolognese:

Spaghetti Bolognese garnished with Pecorino
Romano and Fresh Basil.

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsps. olive oil
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. Italian sausage (I like to use the hot sausage)
2 tbsps. olive oil
1/4 1b. pancetta, diced (bacon will work as well)
1 cup red wine (or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar)
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (5 ounce) can tomato paste
1 pecorino romano rind (optional)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. spaghetti
1 handful basil, chopped
1/4 cup pecorino romano, grated

Directions:
1) Dice the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.
2) Cook the ground beef and sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until brown all over. Drain the fat and set aside.
3) Heat the oil in the same pan on medium high heat.
4) Add the pancetta and saute until it starts to get crispy.
5) Add the vegetables and saute until they begin to caramelize.
6) Add the beef, wine, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, pecorino romano rind, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
7) Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for 1-3 hours. The longer then better.
8) Cook the spaghetti as directed on the package.
9) Toss the spaghetti and the sauce or serve the sauce on the spaghetti and garnish with basil and grated pecorino romano.

You may also like:
Chicken Parmagiana




 

No comments:

Post a Comment